skip to content

IT Help and Support

University Information Services

Access to University and College buildings is managed using contactless access cards: 

University Cards ('UCAM Cards')

A personal identity card issued to students and staff of the University and its affiliates, visitors and collaborators

The UCAM Card (commonly known as a 'University Card') is a contactless identity and access card that provides the cardholder with: 

  • Access to buildings – your institution(s) are responsible for ensuring your card will grant access to the buildings you will need to use during your time at the University. 
  • Identification – the card identifies your association with the University. For students this is particularly important around exam time where you will need your card to gain entrance to your examinations. 
  • Library Services – your card acts as a library card for the University Library, and College and Department Libraries as applicable. 
  • Universal bus service – cardholders are entitled to a discounted rate on the Universal bus service 
  • Additional Benefits – the University Card is recognised by many businesses in Cambridge and around the world, production of the Card may entitle you to discounts. See: local discounts.
  • Other services – some institutions may also use cards to provide services such as EPOS 

Your University Card will be issued on arrival at the University. If your card is not waiting for you, please contact your institution’s card representative. Students should contact their College Card Representative and staff should contact their Department’s Card Representative. 


Temporary Access Cards

These are generic access cards (shown below) issued on a short-term basis, such as for visitors or when a UCAM card has been lost or forgotten:


Card Representatives

Management of cards is co-ordinated via Card Representatives (Card Reps) in each institution. Any card requests or queries should be directed to the Card Representative for your institution who will then communicate with the Card Office as needed. See: list of institutional Card Representatives.

The Card Office is run by University Information Services (UIS) to provide and manage these cards on behalf of the University.


UIS Service Desk

Phone padded  Service status line: (01223 7)67999
Website  Sign up for SMS/email status alerts
Website  Read major IT incident reports

UIS bITe-size bulletin

A regular newsletter aimed at the University's IT community, highlighting service and project news from UIS.

Sign up >

Latest news

Change to Raven login screen from Tuesday 14 February

26 January 2023

New login screen for current University members The login screen for Raven-protected websites and applications will change from Tuesday 14 February for current members of the University. It will become the same screen most of you are already familiar with from logging in to your University Microsoft account to access, for...

Changes to Microsoft Stream video sharing from Tues 07 Feb

26 January 2023

26 January 2023 What’s happening UIS is disabling uploads to Microsoft Stream (Classic), the old version of the video sharing app, on Tuesday 07 February. The new version is called Stream (on SharePoint). Teams meeting recordings are already being automatically saved to Stream (on SharePoint). More information: Stream (on...

Institutional File Storage (IFS) service release new features to Self-Service Gateway

18 January 2023

18 January 2023 Several new features are now live on the Self-Service Gateway run by the Institutional File Storage (IFS) service. IFS is a service for institutions to store and share everyday documents with colleagues. IFS Data Owners and Data Managers can use the Self-Service Gateway  portal to buy and administer storage...