skip to content

IT Help and Support

University Information Services

You can print, copy and scan using the University's Managed Print service. It is available in College and Department computer rooms that use the University Managed Desktop (UMD) service. It is also available for use on your own device, either on or away from the University network, but you will need to install the appropriate software first.

You pay for printing through credits on either your Common Balance or Local Balance. Many Colleges and Departments use the University-wide Common Balance, while some operate their own Local Balance scheme, which may include some free credits. 

If you need high-volume reprographics, contact our Printroom.


Installing printing software


Windows and MacOS

Use Print Deploy using credits on your Local Balance or Common Balance when connected to the University network. 


Windows and MacOS

You will typically only have credits on your Local Balance, so you should use Print Deploy when connected to the University network.


Web-based printing

You can use Web Print to print to DS-Print multi-function devices (MFDs) using just a web browser. You do not need to install any additional software. Web Print can be used by both staff and students with credit on either their Local or Common Balance.


Topping up print credit

Common Balance credits

You can view and buy Common Balance credit using a credit or debit card on the Managed Print Portal (you must be connected to the University Data Network, or on the VPN). You can also view your transaction and print job history, print and copying rates, and your environmental impact.

You can also use cash at some participating Colleges and Departments to buy credit. The minimum top-up is £1, which buys about 20 black and white A4 sheets of printing or copying. 

Local Balance credits

You can check your Local Balance credits using the Managed Print Portal (you must be connected to the University Data Network, or on the VPN). Speak to your local IT staff about topping up your Local Balance credit.


Where you can print

You print in both Colleges and Departments. You can find the charge rates for printing by logging into the Managed Print Portal, and then selecting Rates from the left-hand menu. Using the search box at the top of the page you can find your institution and printer .


Local Balance:

  • Churchill
  • Corpus Christi
  • Emmanuel
  • Murray Edwards

Local and Common Balance:

  • Christ's
  • Clare
  • Clare Hall
  • Downing
  • Fitzwilliam
  • Girton
  • Gonville & Caius
  • Homerton
  • Hughes Hall
  • King's
  • Lucy Cavendish
  • Newnham
  • Pembroke
  • Peterhouse
  • Queens'
  • Robinson
  • Selwyn
  • Sidney Sussex
  • St. Catherine's
  • St. John's
  • Trinity
  • Trinity Hall
  • Wolfson



Local Balance:

  • Cambridge Conservation Initiative

Local and Common Balance:

  • Archaeology
  • Architecture
  • Asian & Middle Eastern Studies
  • Biochemistry
  • Centre for the Study of Existential Risk
  • Chemistry
  • Classics
  • Computer Science and Technology
  • Criminology
  • Digital Humanities
  • Divinity
  • Economics
  • Education
  • English
  • Gates Cambridge Trust
  • Geography
  • Haddon Library
  • History
  • History & Philosophy of Science
  • Information Services
  • Land Economy
  • Lauterpacht Centre for International Law
  • Law
  • Mathematical Science
  • Medical Library
  • Modern and Medieval Languages and Linguistics
  • Mongolia & Inner Asia Studies Unit
  • Music
  • Pharmacology
  • Philosophy
  • Physics and the Maxwell Centre
  • Physiology, Development and Neuroscience
  • Plant Sciences
  • Politics & International Studies
  • Psychology
  • Social Anthropology
  • Sociology
  • Toxicology
  • University Library
  • Veterinary Medicine
  • West Hub
  • Zoology


Interactive map

Open the map in a new window.

Get help

If you have any queries, contact your local IT support or, for general enquires about the service, contact