skip to primary navigationskip to content

Access to the Cambridge network

Wired and wireless connection to the internet, University, college and department networks

Network access in Cambridge

Wired connections

You will normally be able to connect your own computer to your College or Department network and thence to the Internet via the University network. Your College or Departmental Computer Officer should be your first point of contact - please do not connect your own computer without first talking to them.  Students will be told by their Colleges how to set up a connection.


The University of Cambridge Wireless service provides wireless hotspots at various locations throughout the University and the city centre. Two services are supported:

  • The browser-based service is available to holders of Raven accounts who are registered as current users (principally current University staff and students) and to guests of the University who have a temporary ticket. This is the simpler connection method as it requires no special configuration.
  • eduroam, an international initiative, for academic visitors or internal users. To use eduroam you will need to explicitly configure your wireless device. If you are a visitor to Cambridge you need to do this before you arrive in Cambridge. Instructions for Cambridge users are available in the these pages.

Access when away from the University

I won't need to access resources at Cambridge

If you know that you will not require any access to Cambridge facilities (including your email) during your absence you should set up a vacation message and also unsubscribe from, or suspend, any mailing lists. This will let people know not to expect an answer from you and will also reduce the risk of your email quota filling up with messages from mailing lists.

I will only need to get to my email

  • If your email is on Hermes, then the easiest way to access it when you are away is via Hermes Webmail
  • If you want to read and send email using your mail client, see Hermes email settings.

I will need to access various accounts, including restricted web pages and files.

The page on Access from outside the University discusses various ways that you can do this.

I will be taking my own computer and/or mobile device with me

Note: if you wish to use eduroam or the VPDN service you will need to set these up before you leave Cambridge.

If you are taking your own machine away, and it is configured for the network here then check the pages on Access from outside the University and using a machine configured for Cambridge elsewhere.

Last updated: August 2014


If you have any enquiries regarding UIS network services, or other University network topics, please send an email to:

UIS Service Status

Phone padded  Service status line: (01223) 463085
Website padded  Sign up for SMS/email status alerts

Getting help

UIS Service Desk
General support queries

  Phone padded  (01223 7) 62999

UAS Service Desk
Administrative staff queries

  Phone padded  (01223 3) 32999

Other IT service desks