Locating your personal filespace
When accessing your DS-Filestore filespace, you can use a number of methods.
- If you login to a Managed Cluster Service machine, your DS-Filestore filespace is immediately visible, and includes your public_html directory where your web pages are stored.
- sftp access is by connecting to sftp.ds.cam.ac.uk, using your UIS username and password.
- ssh access to the Remote Linux service - ssh to linux.ds.cam.ac.uk, and use standard Unix commands to manage your files.
- DS-Files web interface at https://dsfiles.ds.cam.ac.uk. It is available outside the cam domain. Log in using your CRSid and UIS password.
- CIFS access (only from within the CUDN) mounts your DS-Filestore filespace on your desktop. The CIFS web pages give instructions, depending on the operating system of your computer.
Personal Web pages will be published at the address http://people.ds.cam.ac.uk/CRSid/, where 'CRSid' is your username for Desktop Services. (Users should be aware that as this address contains your CRSid it could be used as a way to identify your email address.)
The user named on the application form for a group filespace is given full access rights to the directory. Subsequent management - allowing other group members access, for example - is left in the hands of this user and any others to whom they give the appropriate access rights.
Locating your group filespace
When accessing your DS-Web pages, you can use a number of methods. You can also work on your web pages on another computer and then transfer them to DS-Web.
- Using Windows 7 on a Managed Cluster machine: Click on the Start menu. Click on My Computer then double-click Ux on home (X:), then the groups directory and locate your group's directory.
- Using Macintosh on a Managed Cluster machine: When you log in you will automatically be connected to UX. An icon will appear on the desktop. Select the groups directory and locate your group's directory.
- Using MCS Linux: Double click on the Computer icon. Click on Filesystem > ux > groups. Now locate your group's directory. You could also use a terminal window.
- DS-Files web interface at https://dsfiles.ds.cam.ac.uk. It is available outside the cam domain. Log in using your CRSid and UIS password. Click on ‘Workspaces’ and choose ‘UX' to display group and society filespaces.
- sftp access is by logging in to sftp.ds.cam.ac.uk, using your standard Desktop Services username and password. You will be logged into your personal filespace. To get to the group directories, go to /ux/groups/
- ssh access to the Remote Linux service - ssh to firstname.lastname@example.org and cd to /ux/groups/<groupid>
- CIFS access (only from within the CUDN) mounts your group filespace on your desktop. The web pages about using CIFs give instructions, depending on the operating system of your computer, but note that you need to connect to the CIFs URL to access group filespace.