skip to primary navigationskip to content

What to do if you've been phished

What should I do if I've provided personal details to scammers?

If you have provided personal details to the scammers – especially if these include banking and/or passport details (e.g. a scanned passport) – then you need to take the following steps:

  • Contact your bank (or other relevant institution) as soon as possible, letting them know what has happened.
  • If you have sent any ID like a passport, contact 0300 222 0000 and report the situation to HM Passport Office. You will almost certainly need to obtain a new passport, which will have a different number. If you have a non-UK passport, you will need to apply for a new passport with your embassy in London. You can find contact details for your embassy on
  • Contact your local IT support or our Service Desk via .
  • Inform ActionFraud, the UK’s national fraud and cyber crime reporting centre. They can be contacted via phone or online. The reporting form is:
  • Register for a free credit checking service and monitor it to see if there have been any applications for credit that you do not recognise. You can also turn on alerts, so they will email you if anybody makes any attempts to contact you. Examples include EquifaxExperian and Noddle.