Note: before downloading and installing this anti-virus software you should check with your local computer support personnel that there are no special anti-virus measures in place within your institute which it may conflict with.
View or download instructions for installation and configuration of Mac antivirus software (IS 19)
Macs running Yosemite, El Capitan & Sierra
For Macs running OS X 10.10 and later
Macs running Mavericks
For Macs running OS X 10.9
Macs running OS X Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion
For Macs running OS X 10.6 - 10.8
Macs running OS X 10.5 (Leopard) or earlier
IMPORTANT September 2013 - McAfee are no longer supporting VirusScan 9.1 or earlier
- MacOS X users with 10.5 or earlier should download ClamXav which is available as an unsupported free alternative to VirusScan for Mac
Note: Make sure that you download the appropriate version for your OS
If you are experiencing problems and wish to uninstall McAfee then users should download this package and run the installer within.
For those using Time Machine we highly recommend that the McAfee Quarantine folder is excluded from backups.
- Open System Preferences and select Time Machine.
- Click the Options button.
- Click the + icon to add an exclusion.
- Navigate to the Quarantine folder at the root of the disk and choose Exclude.