Information Services has a license for some Intel Security (McAfee) anti-virus products, which are available free of charge to all students and staff of the University and Colleges. The license also allows for use on home machines. Once installed the products will automatically check for and download new anti-virus definitions daily.
Products are available for download from this page and the links on the left side of the page.
Current Version for VirusScan: 8.8
You should uninstall any previous version of VirusScan if installing the full product or any other antivirus product before installing.
- McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 (pre-configured, contains latest patches for VirusScan - will install on 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows).
- Patch 6 for Enterprise 8.8 is available here
You must install this prior to upgrading to Windows 10 or use the pre-configured full version (available above).
- Patch 6 release notes
- Patch 7 for Enterprise 8.8 is available here.
- Patch 7 release notes
- Patch 8 for Enterprise 8.8 is available here.
- Patch 8 release notes
WINDOWS 10, PLEASE NOTE:
McAfee Enterprise 8.8 needs Patch 6 at a minimum to make it Windows 10 compatible.
Patch 7 for Enterprise 8.8 is available here
Macs running Yosemite, El Capitan & Sierra
For Macs running 10.10 and later
Macs running Mavericks and earlier
For Macs running 10.9 and earlier please see this page
Strict version of VirusScan 8.8
The second version of Enterprise 8.8 (available below) is preconfigured with very strict rules that may prevent you from installing or running some programs, please make sure you only use this version if you are aware of the possible consequences.
- McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 (pre-configured, contains patch 7 for VirusScan - will install on 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows). Please note: In order to prevent cryptolocker (and other similar malware) this configuration will prevent programs that use appdata/local or appdata/roaming from runnning or installing. If problems occur while trying to install software, temporarily turn off Access Protection.
Computer officers may be interested in the Managed Endpoint Protection Service, currently using McAfee ePO, to manage their systems
McAfee Product Usage
The UIS currently has a license that covers a wide range of McAfee anti-virus products. For details on who can use the software downloadable from our webpages please see Who can use this software?.