This page is primarily intended as a collection of various pointers, mainly local, relating to the Macintosh. It is intended as a useful resource for both Support Staff with the University and individuals who are supporting themselves.
Support Staff supporting Macs in their College or Department may also be interested in subscribing to the local Ucam-Mac mailing list, to do so please send an email to Clare Bartlet.
Buying a Mac
The University of Cambridge is part of the National Higher Education Agreement which offers pricing discounts and includes an 3 year warranty on the purchase of Apple computers and iOS devices.
Purchases can be made under the National HE Agreement by current Staff and Students of the University as well by Institutions.
Institutional purchasers should go to HE Contracts site for pricing and contractual information.
Please email Mac Support for details on how individuals can purchase Apple products.
Macintosh security (including Virus awareness)
It is very important that Mac users keep up-to-date on antivirus products, security packages, software updates etc.
- Antivirus: Includes instructions, for University of Cambridge users only, on downloading a free version of VirusScan for Mac antivirus software and the latest monthly antivirus updates
- Security: For information on how to keep your Mac up-to-date and secure, including Microsoft patches & updates. For information on removing adware please see this page from Apple.
Under various education agreements or University of Cambridge Site Licences the following Software is freely available to current members of the University of Cambridge:
- VirusScan for Mac: Antivirus software
- Fetch for FTP and SFTP
To register this copy of Fetch please email UIS Software Distribution for the Registration Details
General Mac Info, Updates & Useful Pointers
- List of useful web sites: Links to outside sites containing a large amount of information for Mac users.
Training & Seminars
UIS offers regular training courses all year round, mainly hands-on. These are free of charge to staff and students of the University. They are available to other members of the University for a small set fee. UIS also has a comprehensive library of self-teaching materials available on free loan.
Managed Cluster Service (MCS) Macintosh Information
All current students and staff of the University of Cambridge can register to use the MCS which contains Macs with a , in ariety of softwaremany rooms around the University. Information on using the MCS Macs is available, covering how to login and use the Mac software on the MCS. Some of this information is equally applicable to non-MCS Macs too.
Getting help with Mac problems
- Local support: Each college and department of the University has at least one computer support person who may be full or part time. You should contact these people first if you have a computing problem with a non-MCS Mac.
- Service Desk: Available to everyone entitled to use the University Information Services. Staffed by dedicated Service Desk staff, it is the first port of call for any technical queries about the various facilities UIS provides.