The UIS provides computing facilities for all students for the duration of their studies in Cambridge on Hermes, Desktop Services (including the MCS) and Raven.
IT Matters @ Cambridge is a handout for incoming students which is sent out to Colleges for distribution to prospective students.
Accounts for Undergraduates are set up in several stages:
- In May, prospective students who have applied via UCAS are given a CRSid.
- Information concerning visiting students and students who enter by other routes is collected during the summer.
- Computing accounts are set up for confirmed students in mid September.
Computing accounts are cancelled at the end of the student's undergraduate career in Cambridge unless the student is continuing to a further degree or is to become a member of staff. Students are contacted by email before their accounts are cancelled.
Wherever possible, the computing accounts of undergraduates who are continuing to a further degree without interruption to their studies, are kept open. Accounts are not kept open for those who leave the University for a term or more between their degrees.
Collecting data about the postgraduates who are expected is not straightforward. There are a number of sources from which the UIS collects information including:
- the Board of Graduate Studies
- the School of Education
- the Judge Business School (former Judge Institute of Management)
- the School of Clinical Medicine
- Institute of Continuing Education and Departments
Accounts are set up for new students shortly before the start of the term that they are expected to commence their studies. In the Michaelmas term, the first registration takes place early in July and this is followed by a daily update of the data. The first registration for Lent entry students is in early December and this is followed by daily updates. The first Easter term regstration is in March.
Computing accounts are cancelled at the end of the student's postgraduate career in Cambridge unless the student is continuing to a further degree or is to become a member of staff. Students are contacted by email before their accounts are cancelled.
Students on courses which have a known finishing date are cancelled at the end of their course. Research students and others without a fixed finishing date are cancelled when they cease to be students unless the student is continuing to a further degree or is to become a member of staff. Students are contacted by email before their accounts are cancelled.
Students are able to collect their passwords via a web interface from a computer attached to the Cambridge University Data Network. Each student will need to supply information which includes their admissions number as follows:
|Type of student||Admissions number|
|Postgraduate applying via the Board of Graduate Studies||BGS number|
|MBA||Number issued by the Judge Business School|
|Clinical Medicine||Number issued by Medical School|
|MEd||Number issued by School of Education|
|MSt||Number issued by relevant Department|
|MIT visiting students||Number provided by MIT office|
Students may collect their passwords:
- from any MCS station, using the user name SIGNUP; no password is required.
- from a computer in a College or Department that has been set up to allow access to the registration page
- from one of the computers in UIS Reception intended for the purpose
Last updated: May 2011