It is not possible simply to rename a list. Instead, it must be replaced with a new one. To change the name of a mailing list from, for example, firstname.lastname@example.org to email@example.com you need to do the following.
First, apply for a new list called firstname.lastname@example.org, using the Application for Group Computing Resources form. Once the new list has been created you can transfer the membership list and perform other setup tasks.
To transfer the membership list
- Go to https://lists.cam.ac.uk/mailman/ and select the link Cambridge Users: Log in using Raven.
- Select the Admin link by futile-old.
- Select Membership Management, then Import/Export, then the Export Existing List Membership link and then use your browser's Save Page option to save the list of members to a file on your computer.
- Select the Your lists.cam.ac.uk mailing lists link at the bottom of the page.
- Select the Admin link by futile-new.
- Select Membership Management, then Import/Export.
- Check through the four options and change the selection(s) if required.
- In Specify a file to upload enter the name of the file in which you have saved the list of members (or use Browse... to navigate to the file and select it) then select the Import List button.
- You can check the list of members from the Membership List screen.
You may need to perform other setup tasks, for example specifying options or supplying the addresses of managers, moderators and authorised senders if applicable. Note that there is no export/import facility for these addresses, so you will need to enter them manually for the new mailing list.
Send a test message to the new list to verify that it is distributed correctly.
Cancel email@example.com by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Once you are sure that the new list is working correctly delete the file containing the exported membership list from your computer.
Last checked: August 2016