The instructions on this page are for MacOS 10.7 and above. If you are using MacOS 10.6 and earlier there are also instructions.
- Download the
- Double click the file if required to open it. Some browsers may be configured to automatically open downloaded files
- You can choose Show Profile to see all the details. Then select Continue
- Fill in the fields:
- Email address - CRSid@cam.ac.uk for example firstname.lastname@example.org
- Full Name - The name you want your email addresses seen to come from, for example S.P.Q. Roberts
- Incoming User Name - your CRSid, e.g. spqr1
- Outgoing User Name - leave blank
- Password - Your UIS or Hermes password
- Select Install
- Close System Preferences
- Open Mail and you should see your Hermes mail account listed.
If you access your Hermes email from multiple devices it's important that folders used for storing sent email, draft and deleted emails are consistently configured. There are no conventions on naming mailboxes so Apple Mail uses its own, as do other email clients e.g. Thunderbird. If not kept in sync then issues may arise with searching or email stored in unexpected locations.
For reference, Hermes Webmail uses the following as the defaults:
To change where Mail keeps email select the desired location in the list of mailboxes and then choose the corresponding type from Mailbox > Use This Mailbox for.... For example to use a mailbox called sent-mail to store sent emails:
- If the list of mailboxes is not open then highlight your CRSid@cam.ac.uk heading in the list and select Show
- Select sent-mail in the list and navigate to Mailbox > Use This Mailbox For > Sent Mailbox
- Repeat with other mailboxes as required.