Note. The University LDAP Directory is only available to mail clients on computers on the Cambridge network. If you are away from Cambridge and wish to use the University LDAP Directory then you will need to use the VPN service so that your computer appears to be on the Cambridge network. Alternatively you can use Hermes Webmail.
If you would like to check that your mail program is correctly set up for accessing Hermes, please see the page on configuring Outlook for Hermes
Configuring LDAP in Outlook 2013/2016
- Choose the File tab.
- Select Account Settings and then select the Address Books tab.
- Select New.
- Select Internet Directory Service (LDAP) from the Directory or Address Book Type pane then select Next
- For Server Name type ldap.lookup.cam.ac.uk.
Note: Do NOT tick 'This server requires me to logon' or 'Require Secure Password Authentication (SPA)'.
- Select More Settings.... You may see a message that you will have to restart Outlook before this new directory service will work, just dismiss this.
- The University LDAP server supports secure LDAP connections. Use of secure connections is good practice to secure the personal data provided by the service. On the Connectiontab
- Change the Display Name if you like to a different name (e.g. Cambridge University)
- Tick the Use Secure Sockets Layer box and change the Port: number to 636.
- Select the Search tab, then under Search Base select Custom and, in the box, type ou=people,o=University of Cambridge,dc=cam,dc=ac,dc=uk (be sure to type it exactly as it appears on this page) then select Apply then OK to save your changes
- Select Next (you should be told "We have all the information we need to set up your account") then Finish then Close.
- Select File and then Exit and restart Outlook (you need to restart Outlook before you can use your new LDAP entry).
To put ldap.lookup.cam.ac.uk first in the search list:
- Under Search People in the Ribbon choose Address Book.
- Under the Tools menu list choose Options.
- Look at the dropdown list under When opening the address book, show this address list first.
- Choose the lookup entry and then click OK.
Using the LDAP Directory to find an address with Outlook 2013/2016
- Open a new message
- Select To:
- Select Address Book in the ribbon and check the lookup entry shows.
- Type the name (or part of the name) of the person you want to search for into the Search box and select Go. Where possible use 4 or more characters as this will make the search more efficient.
- If the search returns just the right person the entry will be highlighted. If the search returns a list of names, scroll down until you can highlight (single click) the correct name. Select To: to add the name and address to your message
- Repeat this procedure until you have added all the required recipients to your message.
Note: If you plan to use an address frequently you may want to add it to your personal address book. To do this, right click on the person you want to add and select Add to Outlook Contacts
For more details on selecting and using LDAP settings from the lookup directory see the online documentation