Last updated: August 2014
Your mail folders on Hermes (including your INBOX and any folders where you store mail that you have received or sent) all occupy filespace on the system. There is a limit (quota) to the total space you are allowed to use and you will be warned if you get close to your quota. Mail sent to you when your quota is all used up will be returned to the sender.
To check how much filespace you are using:
- Use a web browser to go to https://webmail.hermes.cam.ac.uk/ and login
- At the bottom of the Mail screen are two icons. The right-hand one is a pie-chart icon that shows what percentage of your quota you have used.
- If you need to check the individual sizes of your mail folders select Settings then Folders then select the folder you want to check and the Click to get folder size link.
- Remember to click on the Logout button when you have finished using Hermes.
Old Hermes Webmail
- Use a web browser to go to https://old-webmail.hermes.cam.ac.uk/ and login
- Select Manage and then Check Quota. You will see something like:-
Used Limit Fraction File Quota: 48 1500 3.20% Block Quota (MBytes) 0.28 100.00 0.28% Mailstore Quota (MBytes) 0.93 1000.00 0.09%
- File Quota is the number of files in the Hermes filestore
Block Quota is the amount of disk space used in the Hermes filestore
Mailstore Quota is the amount of disk space used in the Hermes mailstore
Warning messages are sent when an account reaches 90% and 95% of quota in either the filestore or the mailstore.
- If you need to check the individual sizes of your mail folders select Folders then Sizes.
- Remember to click on the Logout button when you have finished.
Note that it is not possible to check your Hermes usage via a mail user agent such as Thunderbird or Outlook.