Last updated: August 2014
It's often useful to be able to take action on a large number of emails, for example deleting all messages received before a certain date or putting all messages about a particular subject into another folder.
You can search and filter your messages to select the ones you want, then take the required action (e.g. drag-and-drop into another folder, delete). See the help text on Handling your email in https://webmail.hermes.cam.ac.uk/.
Old Hermes Webmail
In order to take some kind of bulk action you first need to enable Mark All (this is not enabled by default). What you need to do after that will vary, but will usually involve using the Search function followed by the desired action (some examples are given below).
To enable mark all:
- In your web browser, go to https://old-webmail.hermes.cam.ac.uk/ and login to Hermes.
- Click on Manage at the top of the page.
- Under Webmail Preferences click Preferences.
- Ensure Use persistent marks (slower, sometimes useful) is ticked
- Click on the Change for this and future sessions button.
Now, when you are in folder view you will see a Mark All button on the top right hand side of the page.
Taking an action on all messages in a folder
- Navigate to the required folder by using the Folders icon.
- Click on Mark All on the top right of the page.
- Choose the operation you would like to perform e.g. Delete Marked and click on the GO button.
Using search then an action
You can search for messages From (or To) a particular person, messages with a given subject line, messages over a certain size or sent before a certain date, and a range of other possibilities. Having selected (marked) your messages, you can delete, forward or copy them in bulk.
This example is deleting all messages before a certain date.
- Navigate to the required folder by using the Folders menu.
- Click on Search
- Choose Date then one of the Before options and pick the date you want, for example 1st Jan 2011.
- Next click the Search button below the option.
- All the messages before 1st Jan 11 should now be marked with a tick (if not, click on the Mark All button and this will check all the messages returned from the search).
- From the drop-down menu by the Go button immediately above the list of message, select Delete marked.
- Click the Go button
- Finally, choose Expunge from the choices at the right of the message list to remove the chosen messages.