Last modified: August 2013
The information in this FAQ applies to
- The original Hermes Webmail at https://old-webmail.hermes.cam.ac.uk and
- the Windows versions of Outlook 2000, Outlook XP and Outlook 2003.
The new Hermes Webmail imports vCard format. See the inline help text in Webmail.
The first step is to export your Outlook contacts into a text file.
- Open Outlook
- Select File, Import and Export...
- Select Export to a file and click on Next >
- Select Tab Separated Values (Windows) and click on Next >
- Select the Contacts folder that contains the addressbook entries to be exported and click on Next >
- In Save exported files as: give it the name addressbook.txt and click Browse...
- Click on the My Documents folder in the Places bar (left-hand side of the dialog box) then click on OK, then Next >
- Click the Map Custom Fields... button
- In the right-hand To: box click the Clear Map button
- In the white Value box on the left-hand side click the + next to Name field (Note: The first item you drag from the white Value box across to the white box on the right-hand side will become the Alias used in Hermes Webmail so select the item you wish to use, First Name or Last Name are probably the most suitable)
- Drag the First Name field from the left-hand to the right-hand box
- In the white Value box on the left-hand side click the - next to Name
- Drag the Name field from the left-hand to the right-hand box
- Scroll down the white box on the left-hand side until you see + E-mail, click the + next to E-mail
- Drag the E-mail Address field from the left-hand to the right-hand box
- Click the OK button
- Click Finish and wait for Outlook to do the export
The information now needs to be changed into a format compatible with Hermes Webmail:
- Go into the My Documents folder and double-click the text file addressbook.txt (Note: you may not see the .txt if your computer is hiding extensions)
- Delete the entire first line which looks something like:
- First Name Name E-mail Address
Hermes webmail will become confused by the speech marks in the file so they should be removed:
- Click Edit, Replace...
- In the Find What: text box type a speech mark i.e. "
- Click the Replace All button
- When it has done click the Cancel button
- Click File, Save to re-save the file
- Note: If your contacts contained entries without email addresses they will generally appear at the end of the exported addressbook.txt file. If you do not wish to import these then you may want to delete them from your file. Alternatively, as detailed below, you may wish to amend or delete these entries once they have been imported into the Hermes Webmail address book.
- Click File, Exit to close Notepad
Now you need to transfer the information up to Hermes Webmail:
- Open your web-browser and go to https://old-webmail.hermes.cam.ac.uk/
- Login to webmail as you would normally and click on the Addressbook icon
- In the webmail Addressbook click on Transfer on the right handside of the screen
- Click the Browse button
- Click on the My Documents folder then find and select the text file addressbook.txt. (Note: you may not see the .txt if your computer is hiding extensions)
- Click the Open button
- Click the Import Pine format Addressbook button
- Scroll through and check your new addressbook entries. Any addresses that are incorrect (e.g. contacts without or with wrong aliases) can be edited or deleted (e.g. contacts without email addresses). To edit an entry click on the alias, edit the information and then click on Add/Update entry. To delete an entry click on Delete entry
Please note: Any existing entries in the Hermes Webmail addressbook will remain after an import. Any current Hermes Webmail Address book will be replaced by outlook address book entries with the same alias.