Outlook usually comes as part of Microsoft Office. You can archive your emails into Outlook just before your Hermes email account is scheduled to be cancelled.
Configuration instructions for Outlook to access your Hermes email account are available.
Note: Outlook 2010 was used in the preparation of the instructions below. Other versions of Outlook will also work but there may be some slight variations.
Once you have configured Outlook to access Hermes, you should see your Hermes mail folders on the left hand side. These folders are stored on Hermes and therefore will not be accessible once your Hermes account is cancelled. Also listed is something called Personal Folders. Personal folders are stored on the hard drive of your own machine.
To save all your email from Hermes:
- Under Personal Folders re-create the folder structure that you have on Hermes. For example if you have a Received folder on Hermes, create a Received folder under Personal Folders.
- To copy the contents of the Hermes Received folder to the Received folder you created under 'Personal Folders'
- Select all the messages in your Hermes Received folder;
- Right click on the selected messages and choose Move -> Copy to folder -> Personal Folders -> Received.
- You need to do this create-and-copy for each of your individual Hermes mail folders.
When your Hermes account is cancelled you will still have the mail from Hermes located under Personal Folders. It is worth doing a final save just before your account is closed so that any new messages are saved - particularly the ones in your Hermes Inbox.
If you have a Gmail account you can also configure Outlook to access that.
Please note that if you download your emails to your local hard drive, you need to arrange to back up your hard drive on a regular basis so that, if it fails, you do not lose all your data/emails etc..