The following instructions are for configuring the University of Cambridge VPN service for Windows Phone 8.1.
Before you begin, please ensure:
- You know your Network Access Username - typically your CRSid (username) followed by "@cam.ac.uk". For example, "email@example.com".
- You have your Network Access Token - either written down, or displayed on the screen of an adjacent device. This is a 16 character long password and is NOT the same as your University (Raven) password. You can find out your token by visiting the Network Access Token site.
- If you have been advised to use a Managed VPN, rather than the general University VPN service, you will need the VPN server hostname. Available VPNs and their server hostnames are listed on the Managed VPN page.
To set up the VPN, please follow these steps:
- From any screen, swipe your finger down from the top of the screen:
- The notification panel will open. From the panel tap All Settings:
- The Settings menu will open. From the system tab, scroll down and tap VPN:
- The VPN settings screen will open. Tap the + button at the bottom of the screen:
- The VPN add profile screen will open. Complete the settings as shown below and tap save when done:
- Server name or IP address: vpn.uis.cam.ac.uk or, if you are using a Managed VPN, use the VPN server hostname
- Type: IKEv2 (the default)
- Connect using: username+password
- Username: Network Access Username [CRSid@cam.ac.uk] (as displayed on the Network Access Token website - note the "@cam.ac.uk" suffix)
- Password: Network Access Token (the 16 character token you collected above from the Network Access Token website)
- Show password: (you can tick this if you wish to check the password is entered correctly: it will have no effect on the eventual configuration)
- Connect automatically: Off
- Send all traffic: On (the default)
- Profile name: University of Cambridge VPN
- You will be returned to the VPN configuration screen. Change the Status to On to connect; in the Active profile list below, the University of Cambridge VPN should appear below and show as Connected, manual:
- Press the Windows key underneath the screen to return to the main screen of your phone.
Disconnecting from the VPN
When you are finished with the VPN, return to the VPN settings screen and change the status to Off.
Reconnecting to the VPN
When you wish to reconnect at a later point, return to the VPN settings screen and change the status to On.
If you have multiple VPN profiles configuration (for example, an institutional managed VPN service, in addition to the general University one), you can switch between them by tapping on the different names on the VPN settings screen.