Note: November 2014
Yosemite currently has a bug preventing the VPN password token from being saved. If you are happy entering the password token each time you make a connection then you can follow the far simpler configuration instructions here
Collecting Network Token
- Visit https://tokens.csx.cam.ac.uk
- Copy the sixteen character Network Access Token onto the clipboard
Installing and Configuring the Certificate
- Download the certificate identity
- Open Keychain Access from /Applications/Utilities
- Choose File > Import Items... and select the previously downloaded certificate bundle.
Ensure the destination listed at the bottom is System then click Open.
- When prompted type in the username and password of an admin account on your Mac and click Modify Keychain.
- When prompted for the password for the certificate enter vpn
- From the list of keychains in the top left select System and then choose Certificates from the Category section
- Select the University of Cambridge VPN client certificate entry from the list on the right and click the twist down revealing the Cambridge VPN client identity private key.
- Double click the client identity key and pick the Access Control pane.
- Click the + at the bottom.
- In the resulting Open dialogue box type Command + Shift + G to bring up the Go To Folder option.
- Type /usr/sbin/ and choose Go
- Pick racoon from the /usr/sbin directory and click Add
- Click Save Changes and enter the username and password of an admin account and click Modify Keychain
- Enter admin credentials again and choose Allow then close the window.
- Close Keychain Access.
Configuring the VPN Connection
- Open System Preferences and choose Network.
- Click the + at the bottom of the list of interfaces and choose VPN from the list.
- From the VPN Type list pick Cisco IPSec.
- Name the service "University Information Services VPN" and click Create.
- Select the Information Services VPN entry.
- Set the Server Address to vpn.uis.cam.ac.uk
- Set the Account Name to firstname.lastname@example.org e.g. email@example.com
- Set the password to the 16 character Network Token retrieved earlier.
- Click Authentication Settings and choose the Certificate radio button.
- Pick Select and choose the University VPN Service client certificate then click Continue.
- Click OK to finish configuration.
- Tick Show VPN Configuration in menu bar then click Apply to finish.
Using the VPN connection
To start the VPN connection:
- Either choose Connect Information Services VPN from the VPN menu bar item
- Or choose Connect from the interface in the Networks System Preference.
When you have finished using the VPN choose Disconnect from either of the locations listed above.