These instructions explain how to install and use two apps,
- Pulse Secure to setup a secure tunnel to the ACN network and
- Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection to connect to the Terminal Server or your work PC over this tunnel.
1. Download Pulse Secure
Download the 32 bit installer from Pulse Secure for 32bit Windows
Download the 64 bit installer from Pulse Secure for 64bit Windows
2. Uninstall any old versions of Network Connect, Junos Pulse or Pulse Secure
This is important, as Pulse Secure may not work if older versions are not uninstalled first.
These instructions are for Windows 7 but will be similar for other versions of Windows.
- Open Control Panel and go to Programs & Features.
- One by one, double-click on any entries for older versions and uninstall.
3. Install the new version of Pulse Secure
- Double-click on the file that you downloaded earlier
Click on Next
Click on Install. You may get a popup window and have to enter an administrative password for your computer or click yes to proceed.
Once the installation has completed, click on Finish.
4. Configure the new Pulse Secure
Pulse Secure starts automatically and installs an icon in the notification tray near the clock.
Click on the icon then click on Open Pulse Secure.
Pulse Secure will open. Click on the + symbol.
This opens the Add Connection windows pane.
Leave the Type as Policy Secure (UAC) or Connect Secure (VPN).
For the Name: type in a memorable name, such as Remote Access.
For the Server URL: type in remoteaccess.admin.cam.ac.uk.
Click on the Add button.
You will now see an entry for your tunnel connection to the ACN network. Make sure that you have a connection to the Internet. Click on Connect. After a short time you should see the line connect.
In the future, to initiate a connection you need only click on the Pulse Secure icon, then the name for your connection (here we have called it Remote Access) and then Connect.
5. Using the Pulse Secure tunnel to connect to the ACN terminal server or your work PC.
Firstly make sure you have a successful connection with Pulse Secure.
Then open Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection.
If you are not sure where this is, click on the Windows button and type mstsc and press Enter.
Type in terminal7.internal.admin.cam.ac.uk and click on Connect.
If you have permission to remotely log into your work PC, use its name instead of terminal7.
For example, to connect to workstation WS010678, type in WS010678.internal.admin.cam.ac.uk. If you are not sure of the name of your computer, contact the Service Desk.
You should be prompted to enter your CRSid and password.
If you are presented with this warning, tick 'Don't ask me again for connections to this computer' and click on Yes.
If everything is successful you will be logged in and will be presented with the normal desktop.