The CUDN is funded to provide facilities for institutions of the University of Cambridge and its Colleges, and for certain Research Council institutions. The policies for use of the CUDN are set by the University authorities on the advice of the Information Services Committee.
The University of Cambridge has a primary connection to Janet. In the autumn of 2011, a policy change was announced whereby an organisation with a Janet connection may decide itself how it uses Janet in the area of business and community engagement.
Requests for CUDN and Janet access
CUDN and Janet access can be provided to outside organisations for the purpose of bona fide collaborative work with University institutions. Engaging in collaborative work with a University or College institution as a subterfuge for obtaining general Janet/Internet access will not be viewed favourably.
Requests for access for an outside organisation must be made by the Head, or their appointed deputy, of the University or College instititution with which the outside organisation is undertaking collaborative work. The request for the connection must state:
- whether or not Janet access is required
- why the CUDN and, if applicable, the Janet access is required
- the length of time for which network access is required
- that the institution will provide the necessary technical and administrative support for the the outside organisation's use of the CUDN and, if necessary, Janet
- that the institution accepts responsibility for any breaches by the outside organisation of the Rules of the Information Services Committee, the CUDN authorization and conditions of connection and maintenance, and the Janet Acceptable Use Policy.
Requests should be addressed to Network Support firstname.lastname@example.org at UIS.
In the above, University refers only to the University of Cambridge and College only to a College of the University of Cambridge.
Last updated: July 2012