How to setup your new device
You will need to be in an area covered by the Eduroam wireless network (most University buildings will have this).
Don't forget to setup Find My iPhone or Find My iPad**, after you have finished. If you lose your device it can help you find it again.
Turn on your device for the first time and step through the screens as follows, (the screenshots were taken on an iPad but apply to an iPhone as well).
Select your preferred language and click on the blue arrow
Select your preferred region and click "Next".
Swipe the arrow to the right.
Choose to enable or disable location services and click "Next".
Select eduroam by tapping on it with your finger. If eduroam does not appear on the list, you need to move to an area covered by the eduroam wireless network.
Enter your network access credentials that you obtained earlier or get them here.
Tap on "Accept" to install the certificate.
You should see a tick by "eduroam". Tap on "Next".
Tap on "Continue".
You should now see the new iPad/iPhone setup page.
Make sure "Setup as new iPad" is selected and tap on "Next".
If you have an Apple ID, use it to sign in, otherwise you can tap on "Skip this step".
Confirm by taping on "Skip".
Read and agree to the Terms and Conditions.
Confirm by tapping "Agree".
Select Use or Don't Use Dictation.
Select Send or Don't Send Diagnostics to Apple.
Tap on "Start using iPad".
You will be presented with the home screen.
To configure Mail
Tap on "Mail".
To setup your work email, tap on "Microsoft Exchange".
- Enter your work email address.
- Enter INTERNAL for the Domain.
- Enter your crsid for the username.
- Enter the password you use to log onto your work PC. (Note you must update the saved password when ever you change it on your PC).
- Enter any text for the description. Tap on "Next".
You will get this error message. Tap on "Continue".
- Enter webmail.admin.cam.ac.uk for the Server. Tap on "Next".
- Choose whether to sync Contacts, Calenders and Reminders, as well as email. Basic email setup is now complete. Your email folders should start to syncronise automatically in the background.
- Press the home button and tap on "Settings".
- Tap on "General" and then "Auto-Lock".
- Select a idle time before the device locks itself and tap on the arrow at the top of the screen labeled "General".
- Tap on "Passcode Lock" and turn "Simple Passcode" to ON.
- Choose a four digit passcode.
- Re-enter your passcode.
- Turn the "Erase Data" option ON. Tap on "Enable" to accept that the device will be wiped after ten wrong passcode attempts.
- Tap on the arrow at the top of the screen labeled "General".
- Tap on "Mail Contacts Calendars" You can adjust various settings for Email etc here.
- A good option to set is change the "Sync" setting to a higher value.
- Tap on the "Fetch New Data" toward the top of the page.
- Choose whether to continually, automatically sync email, check at a set time interval or manually. This completes the device setup.
Note that if you sync your device with iTunes, at home or work, you should NOT enable syncing with Email, Contacts or Calendars in iTunes.
We strongly recommend that you setup Find My iPhone or Find My iPad on you device.
You can also find some useful business apps.