The following instructions are for configuring the University of Cambridge eduroam service for generic Android 5.1.1 (Lollipop), as provided on Google Nexus phones and tablets. Other devices and Android versions may have slightly different screen layouts or settings and steps. Older versions of Android may have .
Before you begin, please ensure:
- You are in a location within the University of Cambridge or affiliated institutions where the eduroam wireless network is available. If in doubt, please speak to your local IT support or the UIS Service Desk.
- You know your Network Access Username - typically your CRSid (username) followed by "@cam.ac.uk". For example, "email@example.com".
- You have your Network Access Token - either written down, or displayed on the screen of an adjacent device. This is a 16 character long password and is NOT the same as your University (Raven) password. You can find out your Network Access Token by visiting the Network Access Token site.
Please follow these steps:
- From the home screen go to the Apps menu:
- Find and tap on the Settings application to start it (you may have to swipe several pages to the right to find it):
- In the Wireless & networks section at the top, tap Wi-Fi:
- The Wi-Fi screen will hope and display a list of available networks. Tap eduroam:
If you do not see eduroam listed, please move to a location where eduroam is available. If you are unsure, please speak to your local IT support staff, or visit the UIS Service Desk locations, where Wi-Fi is available.
- You will be prompted to sign in to the wireless network. Enter your credentials as shown below and tap Connect when complete - note that you may need to scroll down in the box to see the later options (this is sometimes not obvious):
- EAP Method: PEAP (if you cannot see this option, it might be revealed by selecting the Show advanced options box at the bottom)
- Phase-2 authentication: MSCHAPV2
- CA certificate: (unspecified)
- Identity: Network Access Username [CRSid@cam.ac.uk] (as displayed on the Network Access Token website - note the "@cam.ac.uk" suffix)
- Anonymous identity: @cam.ac.uk (i.e. without the leading CRSid)
- Password: Network Access Token (the 16 character token you collected above from the Network Access Token website)
- Show password: (you can tick this if you wish to check the password is entered correctly: it will have no effect on the eventual configuration)
- You should now be connected to the eduroam network and this confirmed by the WiFi configuration menu:
- Press the Home key underneath the screen to exit Settings and return the main screen.
Last updated: September 2015