The attention of all users is drawn to the University's Software Policy.
Software available to members of the University may be:
- commercial software available through UIS Software Distribution, usually at a discounted price negotiated through CHEST or otherwise
- software which is free to all
- software which is free to members of the University (because the University has paid for a site licence) - this includes anti-virus software
- shareware, generally available for a small payment
- commercial software purchased directly (for which educational prices may be available)
Note that if you need a particular application which would cost money to obtain for your own machine, you may well be able to use it free of charge on the Managed Cluster Service. In the case of Linux applications, you can do this remotely, from your own machine in your Department or College.
In addition to software for personal use, the UIS also offers a service for the purchase of SSL and TLS server certificates.